Monday, December 17, 2012

Noob Review: CAO MX2 Box-Press

CAO MX2 Box-Press, 5.5x55, NIC. Rested about 7 weeks with me, unknown before that (sent in a PIF from Silverstreak)
Smoked December 13, 2012
Smoke Time: 1:30
Pre-Light:   Very dark mottled brown color, quite toothy and oily. A couple of veins, and one wrapper crack just below the upper band, on the back side. Very firm and solid pack, heavy cigar. Sweet earth and chocolate smell.
Cold Draw:   Sweet grass and raisin. Good medium draw.

First 3rd:   Not a huge blast of pepper, but my lips got tingly right away from it. Some slightly sweet raisin-like flavor too. The draw tightened up quick and I wasn't getting much smoke. Clipped the head a second time, thinking part of the problem may be buildup from having to double puff. The pepper and raisin both faded quickly. No real distinct flavors, and the ash fell as I was clipping it the second time.
Second 3rd:   Not much change, the burn is getting wavy, but the draw is much better. The raisin flavor is off and on again, along with a dark tobacco flavor, and some pepper. The ash is dark mottled grey, and a bitter chocolate is mixing in. None of the flavors I'm picking up are sweet, mostly "dark", bettersweet, or earthy flavors. Opened the draw up a little with my handy finishing nail.
Shortly after I opened the draw with my nail, I actually felt the draw become free-er in mid-puff. Must have been a plug of some sort.









Last 3rd:   Not much flavor change yet. Once I got past that little cracked wrapper, the burn improved quite a bit. Rich dark flavors, but nothing really dominating or even standing out... Pepper and dirt on the retrohale. Seriously like having dirt in my nose! Never had that flavor/smell in a cigar before... Ash holding about 2" at a time. Draw is getting tighter towards the head, and it's getting a little hot and bitter, as I'm having to draw harder to get good smoke.

7/10
Not a standout smoke to me yet, but solid. Interesting change in flavors, and the earthiness is different than what I've been smoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment