Monday, December 17, 2012

Noob Review: Drew Estate Natural Ltd. Irish Hops

Drew Estate Natural Ltd. Irish Hops, 6x52, NIC. Rested 3½ months.
Smoked December 16, 2012
Smoke Time: 1:15
Pre-Light:   Sweet creme smell, slight fruit scent also? There's something, but I can't identify it. Dark even brown, one vein, and a visible diagonal seam, which worries with with the DE Java I smoked, so we'll see... Solidly packed, no soft spots.
Cold Draw:   Sweetened tip, sweet tobacco flavor, with a hint of something earthy...

First 3rd:   Nothing stands out right away, just a smooth even flavor, rather mild. The smoke smells very sweet. I start to pick up hints of an unsweetened creme flavor. No spice or pepper at all yet. Good amount of smoke, not huge, and a good draw. No major burn issues yet. Retrohale is very mild, and the flavors are so subtle this stick is almost bland...
Second 3rd:   A couple of very small wrapper splits starting, but the cigar also vibrated off the workbench when I was running a sander, so I can't blame the cigar for that yet. Not much flavor change to me, and a few more cracks are starting as you can see in the last image. Creme flavor is a little stronger, but still not sweet.
Last 3rd:   A very slight bitterness comes in, but the other flavors are steady, and I'm getting hints of very mild spice/pepper every now and then. More subtle sweet flavors are coming and going, but nothing I can pin a solid description to... Ash is holding over 1½". A few cracks in the wrapper still, but they don't seem to be affecting the burn. The last inch and a half or so is getting more bitter.

5.5/10
I just don't see this as a staple in my infusidor. The flavors in this one were so muted it was bland. Any flavor coming through was very weak. I put this as very mild on flavor, maybe medium bodied/nicotine content. Maybe a good smoke for a new puffer or someone who likes really mild sticks. Definitely lacks the punch and flavor of the adorable little Jucy Lucy...

No comments:

Post a Comment