Monday, December 17, 2012

Noob Review: Rocky Patel The Edge Maduro

Rocky Patel The Edge Maduro, 5.5x52, HON. 3½ months rest.
Smoked December 12, 2012
Smoke time: 0:30

Note: I'm really not sure what vitola this is, the Robusto is 5", the Toro is 6", and my stick measures exactly 5.5", so I've got no clue...
Pre-Light:   Very dark even brown, couple of veins, nothing major. Very solid, toothy, and oily. Dark musty sweet smell.
Cold Draw:   Musty/earthy, slightly loose draw.



First 3rd:   Pepper at the start, not much smoke right off the bat, and bitter. There are hints of sweetness, but they're overpowered by the bitterness and pepper. Burn started getting wavy quickly, and had to correct it already. Mouth very dry. Pepper faded after about an inch, but the burn started going crooked again. Getting some wood and cedar notes, but having to double puff just to get good amounts of smoke. Draw getting a little tighter and better, but the burn is getting wavy again already...



Second 3rd:   Still fighting the burn line, but the ash held for 2". The pepper is mostly gone, but my lips are still tingly. The bitterness is fading, still getting the cedar wood notes. There are hints of sweetness, but few and far between, and not enough for my preference.
Gave up due to fighting burn issues...
6.5/10
I'd give this lower marks, but I've read good reviews of them, and maybe I just got a dud. It's the only one I had on hand, so I might try one again, but I won't go out of my way to find one.

No comments:

Post a Comment